Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm In Favor Of...

So I watched the Democratic debates last night. The candidates discussed topics varying from HIV in the Black community, Economic disparities based on race to handling genocide in Darfur. My favorites were Hillary Clinton and Dennis Kucinich. Barack Obama's views were a bit too general for me. When addressing HIV/AIDS he vaguely hinted that homophobia in churches and other Black institutions is partially to blame for the rapid rates of the spread of the disease. I felt some of the candidates were half asleep with their responses. Mike Gravel insisted that ending the War on Drugs would cure all our problems. Gravel also did not bite his tongue when saying the rest of the candidates had no idea what they were talking about regarding taxation, for he worked in Finance for 8 years. Gravel also hinted that the candidates were lying about what actions they would take based on political actions they have already taken. All in all it was an interesting debate that allowed me to see where each candidate stood. However the candidates were facing a predominately Black audience at Howard University. I will view how these candidates address these same issues when speaking to other communities. Once the flip flopping begins, so will my process of elimination.

1 comment:

Rich Fitzgerald said...

yeah, pandering is never cool in my book.